Show Mercy Int'l Project Trip, Uganda
| The Survey Crew's debut album cover (I play a mean prism pole) |
PART II of VI
Wednesday January
29th
I helped our surveyor (Sean Williams from South Carolina)
all day today out on the site. It was a very hot and sunny day, and the site is
very sloped, so it was a physically exhausting day – but a very fulfilling one!
We got most of the survey done (thanks to Sean – he knows what he’s doing for
sure!).
| A completely candid shot - I had no idea my right hand was taking this picture (sorry - there are long periods of inactivity during a survey so 'selfies' help pass the time). |
But we also enlisted the help of a few of the local guys who
work for Show Mercy. Tom and Ronald helped man the rods, and David helped me at
the instrument yelling out to the others since our radios weren’t working. :)
After spending half the day focusing too much on our work and not on ‘being in
the moment’, I finally took the time to start asking David questions. This is
what I learned.
Around the age of 8, David says that God rescued him. A Ugandan
family noticed him and began taking care of him a bit. They also began taking
him to church, and got him a small job cleaning the church in exchange for
sleeping there at night. He says he soon committed his life to God, and became
very involved in the church. At some point (I’m not sure how long it was), he
met some of the Show Mercy people, and soon after they took him on as one of
their staff members. Now, he helps out with a number of tasks on the site,
maintenance, caretaking, and other tasks.
| David helping out with the survey. Volunteer Sean Williams spent a lot of time with his 3 helpers, teaching them all about surveying. They loved every minute of it. |
David is one of 25 local staff members here on the Show
Mercy site whose lives have radically changed because of this ministry being
here. The pride they have in this place and ministry, the hope they have for
their future, and the joy and thankfulness in their heart is all I need to see
to know that this ministry is doing something good here. Something very good.
| Some of the nearby village kids |
![]() |
| The Dining Hall at the Show Mercy Campus. Each flag represents a country where they've had an intern from. |
| The early morning fog in the valley below. Stunning. |
| A first peek at the master plan taking shape! |

Comments